Thursday, March 16, 2017

State # 9: Myrtle Beach Marathon (SC) March 4, 2017


Back on December 13 I found out that I would be on the pace team for the Myrtle Beach Marathon. I really wanted to get a South Carolina race for 2017 since it was one of the closer states that I needed for my 50 state goal. I had sent emails to a couple of other races looking for a pacer spot without even getting a response, so I was thrilled to get on for this popular race. This was my first race of 2017 and I was the 5 hour pacer so I'd been practicing the required 11:27/mile pace for many of my easy runs for a couple of months. It's getting a feel for the effort level and running form (shorter stride than usual) that will get me going at the proper pace.

Myrtle Beach is about 600 miles from Lexington, so I knew I would be in the car for a good while getting there. I took the day off on Friday so I would be able to get there in time for the expo and the race kickoff party/dinner. I got up around 4 AM did a 3 mile run at race pace, finished gathering everything up, packed the car and got on the road by 6. They had warned us that there would be a $5 parking charge at the expo, which seemed ridiculous to me so I had scoped out a free place to park beforehand. It was a little bit of a walk, but what's that to a marathoner? I also knew that stretching my legs a little bit after all that time in the car would do me good. Once I got parked and walked over to the expo it was around 5 o'clock. I liked the layout of the expo because all of the necessary things were along the outside of the room and you weren't forced to walk through all of the vendors in the middle of the room if you didn't want to. I picked up my pacer shirt and sign as well as my bib and regular swag and was ready to find my way to the kickoff party.





The party was being held at the Grande Dunes Marina which was in another part of town. I put the address in my phone and headed over. The problem was the GPS wanted to take me on streets that were blocked for the Family Fun Run that started at 5:30 and the 5k which was at 7:00. I finally found my way there but discovered that the food wasn't ready yet. It was also a bit too cold to really enjoy sitting outside to eat. I chatted with another pacer about races we had done or were looking forward to while we waited for the food to be ready.



After finishing my meal and chatting with some folks I had enough of being cold and ended up heading back to the expo to pick things up for a person from the 50 States Facebook group who was going to be too late because of flight delays. After dropping stuff off it was time to get some sleep; our pre-race pacer meeting was going to be at 5:50 in the morning. The meeting was mostly to get a group picture, we really didn't get much in the way of instruction or expectations.

 

Then it was off to the start line to get lined up so that pace groups could form around us. It was a chilly 36 at the 6:30 start as the sun was just really coming up. As usual, when I pace 5 hours, I got a group of people start to form around me that included a number of first time marathoners. Unfortunately, it seems like most of the time they don't make it with me all the way to the end. 😢



There were two starting arches because we were on a very wide street with a large grass median in the center. It seems that in the past they had the half line up on one side the and the full on the other, but they said that this year in didn't matter--anyone could go on either side. I lined up on the right hand side, which turned out to be the wrong side since our first turn was to the left so I added on a little bit of unnecessary distance. Around this same time I felt like something was stuck to the bottom of my left shoe. I was scuffing my foot while a ran to try to get whatever it was loose and this awkward gait caused the sunglasses which I was wearing on top of my head (thought I'd want them later) to fall in the street and be destroyed. Oh well, we'd gotten a pair of sunglasses in our swag bags at the expo but that wasn't going to help me now.

There wasn't a lot to see in the early miles, but the company was good. I ended up with two very nice ladies (Sandy and Suzy) that ran WITH me rather than behind me and we chatted for most of the race. Once we got onto Ocean Blvd we could catch glimpses of the beach/ocean between hotels on our right side. I tried to focus on that rather than all the tourist traps. 😃 Somewhere around mile 5 or 6 I was just starting to develop a need for a "pit stop", but decided I would wait until after mile 11 when I wouldn't have to wait in line behind all of the half marathoners. When we got there Sandy took my pace sign while Suzy and I stopped to use the facilities. We had been a bit ahead of pace before I stopped and it turned out that I could have just kept my sign and rejoined the race because I hadn't used up all of my extra time in the porta-pot. Now I had to run faster to get my sign back and then try to slow the group down a little. A little after getting off of Ocean Blvd we had a short portion of paved trail that got us off of the main roads. It was a nice break to be in a little bit quieter surroundings and away from traffic. Sandy's husband got the super-fan award for meeting us several times out on the course and for getting some pictures of us.




Somewhere shortly before mile 25 Sandy starting pulling out ahead of us and Suzy followed shortly after her. I was left fussing about the placement of the mile markers and having some interactions with some of the other runners left around me. It turned out that a guy who had been behind me pretty much the whole time was headed for a 40+ minute PR! The 23 mile marker had been placed a bit long (according to my Garmin) but 24 matched up again, so when 25 was a bit long I expected 26 to correct again. 26 was also long, which caused me to panic a bit needlessly since I was still ahead of pace. Once I could see the finish line (there were of a couple of 90 turns) I started trying to slow down a bit. I was also yelling at all the people around me to hurry and finish in front of me. I didn't really have enough "runway" left to slow down as much as I wanted and finished almost a minute and a half fast at 4:58:23. After posing for a few pictures, I headed for the awesome finish line celebration. A lot of times the party is nearly over at 5+ hours, but not here! The live band was still going strong and interacting with the crowd and there was still plenty of beer and pizza. Even this wasn't the end, as there was another after party (free to participants) at the House of Blues that night. I didn't have the time to stick around, but I did make a quick trip down to the beach before I headed back home.





This was a very nice race: good weather, flat course (only 115 feet of elevation gain), great finish line celebration/after party, nice/big medal (4.5" diameter), helpful pacers, good traffic control (I always felt safe), convenient and free race day parking. They advertise their cut off time as 7 hours, but looking at the results the last person listed with a time took almost 8 hours. The biggest marathon in South Carolina--1239 finishers. There weren't huge crowds, but that's not that important to me and I tend to run smaller races. In addition to the race shirt, we also received a pair of running socks and a pair of sunglasses in our race bags. I also received a nice pair of Balega socks as a pacer gift. Biggest disappointments: $5 parking fee for the expo (which I avoided), and the pre-race party/dinner (which I got for free as a pacer).



No comments:

Post a Comment